Friday, January 21, 2011

TEX SAVERIO EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: "FASHION IS...THE SOUL OF THE CLOTHES"

I recently discovered Tex Saverio in my dairy research and I immediately felt in love with his gorgeous designs. In my opinion he is a mix of Valentino’s glamour with Alexander McQueen’s majesty and a touch of Galliano’s drama. He was only 21 when he won his first award - the Mercedes-Benz Asia Fashion Award. Today, at 26, he was one of the chosen few to take part in the Dewi Fashion Knights runway show – the closing event of Jakarta Fashion Week. For this event, despite already having designed a collection, “My Courtesan”, two months earlier, he chose to create a whole new collection titled “La Glacon” that closed Jakarta Fashion Week with a bang.

Descobri, recentemente, Tex Saverio nas minhas pesquisas diárias e imediatamente apaixonei-me pelas suas deslumbrantes criações. Na minha opinião, ele é uma mistura do glamour de Valentino com a sumptuosidade insana de Alexander McQueen e o toque dramático de Galliano. Tinha somente 21 anos quando ganhou o prestigiado “ Mercedes-Benz Asia Fashion Award”. Hoje, com 26 anos, foi um dos poucos escolhidos para fazer parte da Dewi Fashion Knights runway show – o evento de encerramento da semana da moda de Jacarta. Para este evento, e apesar de já ter desenhado toda uma colecção “My Courtesan” somente dois meses antes, ele decidiu criar toda uma nova colecção a que chamou “La Glacon” que fechou a semana da moda de Jacarta e que causou muita agitação.

Photo courtesy of Dewi Magazine @ January 2011
  My new-comer fashion hero, accepted talk with Fashion Heroines about the special woman who inspires all his designs, his concepts about fashion, his state of mind about the fashion world, dreams, goals and achievements. A very, very interesting talk that reveals a special young man absolutely in love with fashion... or can I say with the soul of clothes? I firmly believe that Tex will be the next “great thing” in the fashion world (and not only in Asian fashion where he is already great). Dears, live from ASIA I’m the honour to introduce you TEX SAVERIO!


O meu mais recente Fashion Herói aceitou falar com o Fashion Heroines sobre a mulher especial que inspira todas as suas criações, a sua concepção da moda e o seu estado de espírito acerca do mundo da moda, sonhos, objectivos e realizações. Uma muitíssimo interessante conversa que revelou um jovem especial completamente “apanhado” pela moda… ou melhor dizendo, pela alma da roupa? Acredito, firmemente, que Tex será a próxima “Big thing” que eclodirá no mundo da moda (e não somente na moda asiática onde ele é já um nome grande). Meus queridos seguidores, directamente da Ásia, tenho o prazer de vos apresentar TEX SAVERIO!  

Photo courtesy of Dewi Magazine @ January 2011
 Where did you go to study fashion design?
Onde é que estudaste design de moda?

In Jakarta.
Em Jacarta

When did you realize fashion as a passion of your life? Is fashion really a passion or a lifestyle?
Quando é que a moda se tornou a paixão da tua vida? A moda é realmente uma paixão ou uma forma de viver?

Fashion is my passion, and I knew it since I was in highschool.
A moda é a minha paixão e descobri isso muito cedo quando andava na escola secundária.


La Glacon SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio
 Did you have to train or apprentice with another designer? How was that?
Tiveste oportunidade de praticar e aprender com algum designer?

Too bad, I never had a chance to work with another designers. But actually I really hoped that I could learn from my seniors.

Infelizmente, nunca tive a oportunidade de trabalhar com outros designers. Mas, a partir der agora espero poder aprender bastante com os designers mais experientes.


La Glacon SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio
 Who are the biggest influences on your designs?
Quais são as grandes influências nas tuas criações?

A woman. Every woman has their own individual character that makes one different from another. And the differences between one’s character to another is my biggest influence.

A mulher. Todas as mulheres têm a sua personalidade muito própria que as torna muito diferentes umas das outras. E essas diferenças de carácter de umas para as outras é que são as minhas grandes influências.


La Glacon SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio
 In the Fashion History who are your mentors?
Na história da moda quem é o teu mentor?

I love VALENTINO :-)
Adoro Valentino.


La Glacon SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio

Describe your philosophy about the art of fashion.
Descreve a tua filosofia no que respeita à arte da moda.

Fashion is art, when you think fashion as an art, you will see fashion in a whole new way, it has a whole new definition. And that will make a huge different with fashion as a “clothes”, not only a pieces of fabric that cover our body, but you will find there’s something, there’s “soul” in those pieces..

A moda é arte, quando pensas em moda como uma disciplina artística, descobres que a moda é todo um novo caminho que inclui toda uma nova definição. E isso fará toda a diferença, ver a moda como “roupa”, ou seja, peças de tecido que cobrem o corpo, mas, descobrirás que há algo por detrás, que há a “alma” nessas peças…


La Glacon SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio
 What do you think about fashion out of the big fashion centers (New York, London, Milan, Paris…)? For instants what about Asian fashion?
O que é que pensas da moda for a dos grandes centros como Nova Iorque, Londres, Milão ou Paris? E quanto à moda asiática?

Asian Fashion.. I am just a new-comer here in the fashion world, so I think this is kinda too soon for me to give a thought about Asian fashion. But if  I may have an opinion, in Asia, we are different with our own “DNA”.. we have a very different background, different tradition, different lifestyles, etc. and that will make Asian fashion’s.. just different and incompareable.

A moda asiática… Eu acabei de chegar ao mundo da moda, logo é ainda um bocado cedo para me pronunciar sobre a moda asiática em geral. Mas, posso dizer que na Ásia nós somos diferentes e temos um DNA próprio… temos um background diferente, tradições distintas, assim como diferentes formas de vida, etc., o que por si só torna a moda asiática bastante diferente e incomparável.


La Glacon SS 2011collection courtesy of Tex Saverio
 Now talking about the fashion world, or the fashion industry, where do you see it going?
Falando do mundo da moda, ou mais precisamente da indústria da moda, para onde pensas que caminha?

Whoa.. another tough question for me.. All i can say is fashion world is a very dynamic world, it moves very fast from season to season. And for me as a newcomer, I definitely need to learn a lot... so to be honest, I couldn’t predict where this fashion industry is going to.. but this is the most fun part of fashion world for me (and perhaps for everyone).. I dont where it is going.. all i can do is do the best I can :-)

Whoa… outra questão difícel para mim… Tudo o que posso dizer é que o mundo da moda é um mundo extremamente dinâmico que se move a uma grande velocidade de estação para estação. E como principiante, preciso de aprender mesmo muito… então, para ser honesto, não posso prever para onde é que a indústria da moda caminha… mas, esta é para mim (e possivelmente para todos) a parte mais divertida do mundo da moda… não se poder dizer onde é que vai parar… a única coisa que posso fazer é fazer o melhor que consigo :-)


My Courtesan SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio

How difficult is it to be a fashion designer out of the big fashion cities?
Quais as dificuldades de se ser um designer de moda for a dos grandes centros da moda mundiais?

I dont know, I just find it seriously challanging, but this is a good thing for me. This will motivate me to do my best in every single step I take..

Não sei, Acho-o um desafio sério, mas, até é algo bom para mim. Isso motiva-me a fazer o meu melhor a cada passo que dou.


My Courtesan collection SS2011 courtesy of Tex Saverio
 If you could choose what Fashion Week (Europe, New York …) would you like to show your collections?
Se pudesses escolher qual seria a semana da moda (Europa ou Nova Iorque…) onde gostarias de mostrar as tuas colecções?

New York and London Fashion Week.. Dubai sounds great too. :-)
Nova Iorque e Londres… Mas, no Dubai também seria fantástico! :-)

I really loved your spring 2011 collection called “La Glacon” showed at Jakarta fashion week. What inspired you to create it?

Eu adoro a tua colecção de Primavera/Verão 2011 a que chamaste La Glacon que mostraste na semana da moda de Jacarta. O que é que te inspirou?

Ice. The contradiction character of ice. Ice.. it looks very “light”, soft, and fragile... but at the same times, it is strong, tough, it could hurt.. and this contradiction is what inspired “La Glacon”. The character of a woman who sometimes looks very soft, very fragile on the outside, but inside.. she is strong, a fighter..

O gelo. O carácter contraditório do gelo. O gelo… parece muito light, soft e frágil… mas, ao mesmo tempo, é forte, duro e pode magoar… e foi esta contradição que me inspirou na La Glacon. O carácter de uma mulher que é ao mesmo tempo soft e muito frágil, mas, por outro lado, no interior… ela é muito forte e lutadora.
My Courtesan SS 2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio

If with your first collection “My Courtesan” was something dark for a hot woman who enjoys playing with her sensuality. The concept behind “La Glacon” is lightness with a bright accent, maybe for a woman who likes keeping the distance as an Ice Queen. Do you agree with this interpretation? How do you explain this contrast between the two collections?

Se com a tua primeira colecção My Courtesan havia algo negro para uma mulher sedutora que adora jogar com a sua sensualidade, o conceito por detrás da “La Glacon” é algo mais leve e luminoso, talvez, para uma mulher que gosta de manter a distância como uma rainha do gelo. Concordas com estas interpretações? Como explicas este evidente contraste entre as duas colecções?

Yes. That is absolutely TRUE.. And that “contrast” I made between “My Courtesan” and “La Glacon” was COMPLETELY PLANNED..  After “My Courtesan”, I was told that I had been chosen to do a show as a CLOSING of JAKARTA FASHION WEEK (that is a very huge honour for me), so I feel the need to present something new, different and “unpredictable”. So I challange myself to create a very different collection (from my 2 months-before collection). If “My Courtesan” was “dark”, then I think I’d be good if i make it “light”... and that is quite a challange. That’s actually the point of the “contrast”, I want people to see, that whatever concept I try to present in the collections (even the most contradictive one), I want people to still be able to FEEL “me” in every collections of mine... I want to prove to myself that i have the ability to create from “dark” to “light” but never lose “me”..

And, another reason why I choose a contradictive concept is about my philosophy of design.. I believe that the main concept of a collections is the character.. that’s the main thing. Not the colour, not the pattern, not the details, not the materials.. “La glacon” has only 8 looks and every looks used different material, different technique, etc. BUT I hope people still know that is a solid collection... and that’s because of the character. So with this 2 contradictive collections, I want to tell that my character is not build by the colours, or a single concept, or a style, etc. it is “the soul”.. and it is just there regardless the concept or colour or anything else..

Sim. Isso é absolutamente VERDADE… E esse contraste que eu criei entre “My Courtesan” e “LA Glacon” foi COMPLETAMENTE PLANEADA. Depois da My Courtesan disseram-me que eu tinha de escolher fazer um desfile como um Closing para a semana da moda de Jakarta (este convite foi uma enorme honra para mim), então senti que tinha de apresentar algo novo que fosse diferente e imprevisível. Então, desafiei-me a mim próprio a criar uma colecção absolutamente nova (da minha colecção de há dois meses atrás). Se My Courtesan era algo dark, então, pensei que seria boa ideia fazer algo light mas nunca “me” perdendo…

Outra razão porque eu escolhi este conceito contraditório tem a ver com a minha filosofia de design. Acredito que o principal conceito de uma colecção é O Carácter, não a cor, nem o padrão, nem os detalhes, nem os materiais. “La Glacon” tem somente 8 looks e cada look é feito em diferentes materiais e técnicas, etc. MAS, apesar disso espero que as pessoas a reconheçam como uma colecção sólida, e isso deve-se ao seu carácter. Então, com estas duas colecções contraditórias, quis dizer que o meu carácter não é construído pelas cores, ou um só conceito, um estilo único, etc. É a Alma… e é precisamente aí que reside a coerência, independentemente do conceito, da cor ou de o outra coisa qualquer.




My Courtesan SS2011 collection courtesy of Tex Saverio
 I think you have the genius to turn Couture in a very fashionable thing. What do you think about this?
Acho que tens a genialidade de tornar a alta costura como algo muito contemporâneo. O que pensas disto?

Well.. that, for sure, i don’t know.. All i can say is that this is flattering to know that.
Bem, isso, de certeza, que não sei… O que posso dizer é que é muito lisonjeiro saber disso.

Why are you gambling only in glamorous evening wear? Have you plans to make something to use in day light?
Porque é que só estás a apostar em roupa glamourosa para a noite? Tens planos para fazer algo mais usável à luz do dia?

Yes, there’s been a demand for me to make a line, a more “low-key” collection but there’s still a touch of my “insanity” (this is what they said about me).. So yes, i have plans to do something “sanity”.. Hehe :-)

Sim, tem sido uma preocupação poder vir a fazer uma colecção mais “low-key” mas que permaneça com um toque desta minha “insanidade” (isto é o que eles dizem de mim). Portanto, sim, tenho planos para fazer algo com mais “sanidade” hehe :-)

Who are the celebrities that you would like to wear in the red carpet?
Quais são as celebridades que gostarias de vestir na passadeira vermelha?

So many.. GAGA! Angelina Jolie.. Every woman who has a strong character.
Tantas… GAGA! Angeline Jolie… qualquer mulher que tenha um forte character.

What are your plans to 2011?
Quais são os teus planos para 2011?

So many! And believe me, you dont wanna read it, it is quite long in my agenda... So wish me luck.. and for sure, i will let you know when it is accomplished, Paula.. :D

Tantos! Acredita em mim, não vais querer ler todos, é uma longa agenda… Então, deseja-me sorte, e certamente, vou te deixar saber quando forem realizados, Paula… :D

Thank youuuuuu , PAULA!!! Its nice to do an interview with you.
Obrigado, PAULA!!! Foi divertido fazer uma entrevista contigo.

Text: Paula Lamares
Photos: Photos of Tex Saverio's perfil courtesy of Dewi Magazine@January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment