Wednesday, November 17, 2010

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW OF A PHOTOGRAPHY ADDICT: ISMAEL PRATA


"Architecture is like my marriage... and photography is my delicious affair", Ismael Prata

Ismael Prata é para mim um dos jovens talentos mais promissores na fotografia de moda em Portugal. Fashion Heroines tem seguido a sua crescente carreira desde o inicio e agora o fotógrafo revelação acedeu em falar com o blog nas vésperas da cerimónia de entrega dos Fashion awards que nós acreditamos ser o Ismael Prata um candidato sério a uma nomeação nos próximos anos. Uma interessante entrevista que revela as inspirações, projectos e sonhos de um fotógrafo adicto.  

Ismael Prata is in my opinion one of the most young talented Portuguese fashion photographers, a growing career that Fashion Heroines followed since the beginning. The upcoming photographer talked with FH on the eve of the fashion awards ceremony that we believe he will be a natural  nominee in the next years. An interesting interview revealed the inspirations, projects and dreams of a photography addict.        


O que é que o levou a tornar-se fotógrafo?

O gosto pela fotografia sempre existiu, mas nunca se tinha materializado até me ter inscrito num workshop de fotografia analógica na minha faculdade. Aí, foi-me lançado o desafio de fazer um projecto de fotografia com um tema escolhido por mim. Nesse mesmo minuto decidi por impulso fazer um projecto de fotografia de moda com a minha namorada. E foi assim que com 6 rolos tive o meu primeiro contacto com fotografia de moda. Mas a decisão só veio um ano depois quando uma vez mais por impulso resolvi entrar num workshop de fotografia de moda, e a partir daí procurei fotografar quase todas as semanas. Fiquei adicto. Fotografar fazia-me bem, e ainda hoje assim continua.

What’s the history behind your decision to become a photographer?

The passion for photography has always existed but it had never realized until I have enrolled in a photography workshop in my college. Then I was thrown the challenge of doing a photography project with a theme selected by me. In the same minute I decided on impulse to do a fashion photography project with my girlfriend. And a few days and 6 rolls after, I’ve had my first contact with fashion photography. But the decision came only a year later when once again I decided to go on impulse to a fashion photography workshop, and after that I’ve became addicted and I’ve tried to shoot almost every week. Shooting makes me feel good since then.

O que é que pretende transmitir com as suas fotos?

Cada fotografia tem os seus objectivos, mas de forma geral e abstracta procuro sempre atingir imagens de beleza que me emocione.

What do you try to achieve with your photos? 

Each photograph has its own objectives, but generally and abstractly, I always try to achieve images of beauty that thrills me.

O seu trabalho é mais conceptual ou emocional?

Admiro muito os fotógrafos que têm abordagens mais conceptuais, mas gosto de ver o meu trabalho como algo mais emotivo.

Is your work more conceptual or emotional?

I really admire those photographers who have more conceptual approaches, but I like to see my work as something more emotional and soulful.

Que equipamento usa? O que é que gosta nesse equipamento?

Uso maioritariamente um SLR digital da Canon, das gamas mais baixas. Estive quase um ano sem trabalhar em estúdio, uso muito luz natural sempre que possível.

What equipment do you use? What do you like about the equipment you use?

Mostly I use a digital SLR camera, from the lower ranges. I've been almost a year without working in the studio, I use lots of natural light whenever is possible.

O que é que o inspira?

Eu vejo diariamente online e em revistas de moda, nacionais e internacionais, trabalhos dos fotógrafos, estilistas e manequins que mais admiro. É tomando contacto com esses trabalhos que multiplico a minha vontade de aprender, experimentar, crescer e evoluir no mundo da fotografia de moda. A busca pela fotografia perfeita. A busca pela beleza, pela emoção visual.

What inspires you most?

I use to see daily fashion magazines and works of photographers, designers and models that I admire most. It's coming into contact with those works that I multiply my desire to learn, experiment, grow and evolve in the world of fashion photography. And also the search for the perfect picture. The beauty and the visual emotion.

Quem são as suas referências? Que Fotógrafos, artistas, escritores, realizadores…?

As minhas grandes referências são provavelmente grandes nomes da fotografia de moda como Greg Kadel, Yu Tsai, Steven Meisel, Steven Klein, Terry Richardson. Saliento ainda a forte influência do realizador Michael Bay.

Who are your references?  What about other photographers, artists, writers, film makers? 

My main references are probably big names in fashion photography as Greg Kadel, Yu Tsai, Steven Meisel, Steven Klein, Terry Richardson. I note also the strong influence of film director Michael Bay

A arquitectura e os espaços construídos são uma parte importante no seu trabalho. Que relação existe para si entre a fotografia e a arquitectura?

A arquitectura faz parte da minha formação e como tal é uma consequência directa no meu trabalho. Encontro-me neste momento a desenvolver uma tese de mestrado onde abordo a produção de arquitectura em consequência da produção de moda, tornando ainda mais influente a mistura de ambas no meu trabalho. Confesso ainda que concordo com a visão de Helmut Newton que dizia “When I photograph women or fashion, my philosophy is that a woman doesn’t live against a white paper studio background, she has a world of her own that is either in her house, in the street, in a car, by the sea or wherever I fancy to put her. ” querendo com isto procurar uma fotografia integrada no meio quotidiano. O meu trabalho procura mostrar em muito essa perspectiva mas usando um pouco da minha formação intrínseca para obter enquadramentos arquitectónicos com linhas de força na composição, trazendo o observador para dentro da fotografia. Acredito também que a arquitectura é à semelhança da moda, uma forma de representação de uma época e contexto, e dessa forma acredito que ao misturar as duas consigo retratos mais interessantes do contexto temporal actual.

The architecture and the building spaces are an important part in your work. What relationship is there for you between photography and architecture?

The architecture is part of my training and as such is a direct result of my work. I’m currently developing a master thesis where I discuss the production of architecture as a result of fashion production, making the blend of both areas visible in my work. I must confess too that I agree with Helmut Newton’s view that said “When I photograph women or fashion, my philosophy is that a woman doesn’t live against a white paper studio background, she has a world of her own that is either in her house, in the street, in a car, by the sea or wherever I fancy to put her. ” trying to integrate women in is day-life scenario/environment. My work tries to show this view too, but using a little of my intrinsic training in architectural frameworks, with power lines in the composition, bringing the viewer into the picture. I also believe that architecture is like fashion, a way of representing a time and context, so when I mix them, I’ll probably achieve a better portrait of our current temporal and social context.

Que área da fotografia é que gosta mais?

Moda, sem duvida alguma.

Which area of photography do you like most?

Fashion, without any doubt!

No seu site (http://ismaelprata.viewbook.com/ ) tem uma citação famosa de Coco Chanel “ A moda passa, somente o estilo é eterno”.  A fotografia pode eternizar a efemeridade da moda?

A fotografia regista o momento. A moda regista uma tendência. O cruzamento das duas marca uma época, uma forma de viver.

In your site (http://ismaelprata.viewbook.com/ ) you have a famous quote by Coco Chanel “ Fashion fades, only style remains the same”. Do you think photography helps to become ephemeral fashion in eternal?  

The photograph records the moment. Fashion notes a trend. The blend of both marks an epoch, a way of life.

Há alguém que gostaria de fotografar em especial?

Sem dúvida, algumas modelos como Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Candice Swanepowel, Abbey Lee Kershaw, Miranda Kerr...

There is any personality that you would like to photograph?

Yes, undoubtedly, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Candice Swanepowel, Abbey Lee Kershaw, Miranda Kerr...

Qual ou quais os trabalhos que gostou mais de fazer?

É complicado escolher. A melhor manequim com quem já trabalhei foi a Alina Boyko, mas eu ainda era muito amador nessa altura. Acho que ainda não tenho um trabalho que consiga destacar dos restantes. Gosto de pensar que o melhor ainda está para vir.

What are the Works which you did that you liked most?

It's hard to say. The best model I've worked with was Alina Boyko, but I was still very amateur. I guess I still do not have a job that can detach from the rest. I rather think that best is yet to come.

Que projectos é que tem sobre os quais gostaria de nos falar?

Estou a procurar actualmente abordar um sonho mais antigo que a fotografia de moda. O vídeo de moda é um sonho desde que tive contacto com os primeiros vídeos do género realizados por Michael Bay em 2004.

Do you have any current projects? If so, what are they about?

I am currently looking for a dream older than fashion photography. The fashion videos are a dream since I’ve noticed the first video of it’s directed by Michael in 2004.












To see more photos by Ismael Prata:
Follow him via Facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Ismael-Prata-Photographer/240655041756

No comments:

Post a Comment